Non-supercharged unsilenced 16v Rallye: 0 Bhp 0 Lb ft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-supercharged unsilenced 16v Rallye: 0 Bhp 0 Lb ft

This blog shows the transformation of R494 LJK over the 3 years or so i've owned it, from a completely standard 8v S2 Rallye to a planned 250bhp plus supercharged and caged 16v Rallye track toy.

Here's the near complete spec:

Engine:

Rotrex C30-94 centrifugal supercharger
    Rebuilt TU5J4 16v bottom end slightly over bored
    Wossner forged low comp pistons
    TU5JP4 head with J4 cams, lifters, springs and pullies redrilled to suit the J4 inlet manifold
    TU5JP4 cam covers
    QEP lightened and balanced flywheel
    Helix 6 paddle clutch kit with uprated cover and sprung clutch plate
    GMC 4-1 exhaust manifold
    Peugeot Sport Group A engine mounts
    Pace radiator and one off header tank
    GMC Rotrex supercharger bracket with idler pulley and hydraulic additional belt tensioner
    Blue Samco coolant hoses
    Mocal 13 row oil engine cooler with thermostatic sandwich plate
    Mocal 9 row oil cooler Supercharger oil cooler, Rotrex header tank and oil filter
    SPA digital Oil temp/oil pressure gauge
    Second sandwich plate for the SPA oil temp/pressure gauge
    KMS wideband lambda controller with display
    DTA S40 Pro ecu
    RC Engineering 440cc injectors and 4 bar FPR
    600mm x 230mm x 65mm Intercooler
    SFS blue intercooler hoses
    2.5" intercooler pipework powdercoated black
    K&N 3" inlet air filter
    TMsport 2.5" bore stainless manifold back system
    8v coilpack with Magnecor HT leads
    Pug Racing aluminium gear linkages
    Griffiths Engineering quick shift

Suspension:

Peugeot Sport Tarmac spec dampers (Fronts shortened roughly 40-50mm with 20mm more thread than standard)
    AST camber adjustable solid top mounts
    Peugeot Sport strut reinforcement plates
    Rally Design Coilover conversion kit
    7" 300lb Faulkner springs
    18mm front ARB
    22mm rear ARB
    23mm torsion bars

Brakes:

Front: 306 S16 calipers, 266mm discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads
    Rear: Standard

Wheels:

S2 Steels with 185/55/14 Yokohama A539s (Road)

S2 Steels with Bridgestone Potenza semi slicks (track)

Other:

Safety Devices 12 point "cup" cage
    Sparco Evo seats
    Sabelt 3" 4 point harnesses
    Box section seat rails
    Carbon doorcards plus various other covers
    Aluminium glovebox blank/ECU mount
    Rally nuts dished 350mm steering wheel
    Odessey 680 dry cell battery mounted behind the passenger seat
    Battery isolator switch
    SPA Designs digital oil temperature/pressure gauge
    Aerocatch bonnet pins
    washer bottle relocated to rear nearside quarter
    clear side indicator lenses

This is how she stands at the moment.

Pages 1-2 are the cars early days as a pretty much standard car.
    Pages 3-4 show the cage going in, a few track days and the start of the supercharger idea.
    Pages 5 onwards show the refreshed engine bay, 16v engine swap and all the preparations for boost.

Feel free to comment!

I must have spent about a year to eighteen months looking at the RR longingly, for some reason even though I had never driven or even seen a Rallye in the flesh I just knew I had to have one. After graduating uni and clearing my debts it was time to start looking for a Rallye, I ended up treking down to Reading to see this one and put a deposit down there and then. About two weeks later she was mine! In the background my beloved Polo can be seen, I hope the old girl is being looked after!

Nothing could be done to the car (now known as Fifi) until my insurance came up for renewal except for things like poly bushes, powerflex lower engine mount, a K&N filter element and a new clutch (due to the release bearing failing).

Also toyed with mud flaps for a while and de-wipered the rear because it kept flopping down onto the bodywork.

Also finally managed to get the fog vents fitted (about bloody time!)

Next step the engine bay, the rocker cover was looking a little rusty so a few coats of Bianca white later and it looked like this.

Also managed to snap a stud in the process, doh!

Couple of months later and my insurace came up for renewal, the lovely Mr Flux allows me to mod away without increasing my premium, sooooo first things first on with the RR approved raceland manifold and pugsport exhaust.

Also decided to partially strip out the rear for the fun of it (minus the biking essentials)

Finally plucked up the courage to order these, as all Rallye owners should know, no Rallye is complete without a vibrating dash :P (Group N by the way, wasn't man enough for Group A).

The most recent addition was a Raceland enclosure with a green cotton filter, this took some serious modification to fit but eventually went on. Noticeable difference in throttle response now I think, not to mention the roar!

I'll finish for the moment with Fifi in her natual habitat.

There is much much more to come over the course of the next few months with the build up to the Retour! Those that are on the forum as much as me will have noticed me lurking around the for sale section!
    Last edited by Aleksandr; 25-07-2012, 08:47 PM.
    Lots of tasty bits for sale, check my blog/parts for sale section

Spending too much money on small french hatchbacks since 2007...

Few more updates:

These have been added

The result being this!

Few more updates to come over the next few weeks. I've bought a dry cell battery so I can move it into the cabin so that needs to be fitted over the course of the next few weeks along with the 266mm brakes shown above. I also need to get round to getting some group N linkages and replacing the roll pin before Fifi's big ring trip in April!
    Last edited by Aleksandr; 02-04-2008, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Now you see it....

....Now you don't

I've got a dry cell battery bungy corded to my floor at the moment but that will change as soon as I get my battery mount from Dyno. I've also come up with an ingenius idea for mounting my kill switch that just needs finishing off.

I'll put up some more interesting pics once they're all done!
      Last edited by Aleksandr; 12-03-2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

good work mate looks really nice

Comment

Here's a better picture of the lack of battery

Also did a spot of engine bay cleaning Plently more to do though!

And this is where the battery is going to live. It will be mounted properly but this suffices for the moment. Wiring it in wasn't as hard as I thought to be honest. Hardest bit was trying to get the new wiring through the grommet in the bulhead, managed it in the end by curling the end of a bike spoke into a hook and then pushing that through to the engine bay side, hooking the cable on and then pulling it back through.

I've also fitted my 266mm brakes. When I bought them they had been painted at some point in both red and black and this had mostly flaked off leaving a strange rust colour. I realise yellow calipers are particularly chavtastic but I couldn't find black and my steelies hide the brakes anyway. Although I have to say the yellow does look good poking through the cut outs in the steelies!

Although I need to helicoil one of the threads in the drivers side strut as the last owner used the wrong size thread and stripped it. Good to know I've been driving on that for 8 months!

Not really sure what to do next yet. I did bid on some buckets on ebay but thankfully I lost lol I could either do the interior properly or perhaps get that S1 inlet setup i've always wanted. hmmmm
          Last edited by Aleksandr; 16-03-2008, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Few more small updates. Added my "Dyno racing" parts in the last couple of days and just generally tidied and cleaned things ready for the Retour. Not long now!

Battery mount (living under my passenger seat)

Catch tank

I've also fitted my isolater switch but for some reason the picture it wont upload. It looks great from a distance but horrific up close! I'm thinking some carbon will finish it off nicely.

Apologies for the picture quality, they were taken on a camera phone.

Feel free to comment, would like to know what people think.
            Last edited by Aleksandr; 02-04-2008, 03:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

My weekend started well, set off for Brighton to pick up a set of Sparco Evos at a more than reasonable price and then...........

this happened

Towed home by the AA with a suspected head gasket failure. What seemed like a major misfire set in on the M25 so I pulled up and called the AA. The AA guy compression tested the engine and cylinder 2 showed zero.

Need to get the head off and have a looksey but at the very least it's going to be a new headgasket and cambelt. Or as much as I hate the idea it could possibly be time for 16v........

I'm trying to figure out what bits I need to put the Rallye back together. Here's my list so far, have I missed anything?

head rebuild pack (gaskets, seals etc) I've seen an XSi one on ebay from 106 parts which I imagine would fit.
              valve springs
              new rockers (no idea where to get these, I imagine Pug would charge a fortune)
              thermostat
              cambelt, tensioner and water pump
              headgasket (MLS jobbie)
              head bolts, worth getting ARP bolts?

The cause of my problems!

My one seemingly new(er) piston (far right)

It also appears I have two new(er) exhaust valves (far right, the other is out of shot)

I'm guessing Mr valve met Mr piston a tad intimately at some point in the last 100,000 miles. Yet another thing the last owner failed to mention

Couple of quick questions.

How on earth does the water pump come out? I've taken out the two bolts but it feels like it's welded in!!

Bits of the old head gasket are stuck to the head, best way to get them off? I don't want to clog up the galleries.

Few pics of my progress so far.

From this.....

to this....

Water pump took a little "persuasion" to come out

I've been trying to clean up the bay a little bit while everything is apart, little bit more blue on show than there used to be!

Looking a little sorry for herself.

This cheers me up a bit though

Last edited by Aleksandr; 24-06-2008, 07:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It's not that you've necessarily got newer piston and valve, but if the headgasket was also blowing through on a waterway it could have steam cleaned itself.

Comment

Few things fell out of the Rallye recently....

Dyno Racing battery mount. Guess how it's held on :P

These then "fell" in. Absolutely love them!

Few other random pics from a little while ago.

I cleaned the arches and resprayed the Steelies before FCS as well as giving her a good ol clean. That was all undone in 30 mins of track time

Now what to do next? Hmmm

Comment

Nice car mate, i'm thinkin of puttin my battery in the boot or inside. But not sure wot to fasten it down with, or wot wire to use to extend the leads with?

Comment

Google Vehicle wiring products, that's where I got my wire from. I've held my battery mount on with heavy duty velcro, didn't fancy drilling any more holes!

Comment

Pete: S2 Rallye engine build thread

Thought i'd make a new blog just for my upcoming engine build. After tackling a head gasket and cambelt change a couple of months ago I wanted to go a step further, originally the plan was going to be to build a monster 8v engine (PH4 cam, GSXR bodies, Sandy inlet etc) out of the car but while I was searching for an 8v engine to use I found a JP4 head for a silly low price on ebay, and then a J4 bottom end appeared on the forum.

So i've gone over to the dark side and gone 16v! I was thinking of building a cammed, big valve (thanks to the JP4), TB'd 16v engine good for around 160-170bhp or so. Today I got a quote from QEP for a set of 708 cams and associated gubbins to make the JP4 head usable, that came to 750! So i'm having another re-think, there's no rush as the 8v will stay in the Rallye right up until the point I switch in this completed engine. I'm starting to have naughty thoughts about superchargers again so who knows what could happen! It seems that the costs of making a TB'd hi-comp engine are pretty similar to making a lo-comp boosted engine.

Any comments, words of wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated, let me know what you think!

Any way, let the blog begin:

A couple of weekends ago I went on a trek around England and Wales collecting a TU5JP4 head and a J4 bottom end. 450 miles later these were sat in my garage.

I then spent the best part of a week of evenings doing this:

This weekend I shall be doing the same to the head (after i'm done hooning around with the guys at Gwynnespeed )

These also appeared on my doorstep in the last week, although they might end up back on ebay again lol.

Comment

nice one matey,sounds good, good luck with it all
                          [CENTER][URL="http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/showthread.php?p=633515#post633515"][COLOR="Red"]Cpt:Jizz Rebuild Thread![/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

Comment

Right i've got my paws on a set of VTS cams, just need springs, retainers and lifters now lol. I've also come to a bit of a cross roads....

N/A
                            GSXR bodies 75
                            fitting kit 450
                            cams (708's) 450!
                            Pocketing pistons + raising compresion by skimming head: No idea, 200-300?

1300ish

Supercharged
                            Charger kit + bracket, tensioner etc 1800
                            VTS cams 30

1900ish

I've over simplified both of those options and missed out a whole load of other parts, both would also need standalone mangement, loom building + mapping. So add on another 1000 at least.

The guys at GMC reckon that a J4 bottom end, JP4 head (lower compression than J4) and a 1.5mm J4 gasket would allow me to safely run around 200bhp at the wheels with a Rotrex charger. The N/A setup at best would give me maybe 140 at the wheels?

Hmmmm.....

Also can anyone recommend somewhere in the South East to get my block honed and skimmed?

Comment

a place called sussex rebores, are really good, i used them building all the engines...

Comment

Working...
                              X