My 2nd S1 Rallye.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2nd S1 Rallye.

So following on from this thread...http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2...ad.php?t=61519, thought it time to start a blog for rallye #2.

After L437 EPH (1st s1) was bumped on a saturday evening drive out in July '09, i had a month long battle to get a decent payout from the other parties insurance company.

I had a choice, take 1500 and they take the rallye, or take 1250 and keep the vehicle. I chose the latter, and after much thought decided to sell the car and move on to something different. It would have taken a good 1k to repair to a high standard, and it needed a bit of work to the boot floor due to the dreaded rust, as well as getting a bit long in the tooth with 143k miles.
    After 5 years ownership, me and Laura were both sad (actually heart broken) when the car sold on 26.08.09. It's suprising how attached you can get to a car, the memories come flooding back, ones like bringing your 1st newborn son back from hospital in it

So with winter not far off, until i decided what car next, i bought a jimny to put us on lol. Suprisingly good fun, but as soon as i'd bought it i realised selling the rallye was a mistake and wanted another.

3 weeks after buying the jimny, i sold it. Laura had spotted a white s1 rallye on ebay down in Great Yarmouth, standard apart from a Pugsport exhaust and K&N panel filter.
    This one had also been a Cat C/D write off due to a very low speed bump, but with a genuine 60k miles. So minimal was the damage, it only needed 2 headlamps, an indicator, and a new slam panel. So a deal was done over the phone, and luckily with jimny selling on the thursday evening, i took a trip down to Norfolk on Friday 18th september with my dad to pick it up.

So with M578 HAC sat on my drive i took a few photo's. The paint was very much like my 1st rallye, very dull and looked like it hadn't been polished in years!

There were a few jobs to be done...a full machine polish, faded decals needed replacing, full interior shampoo, head gasket and timing belt as well as a full service, wheels needed a re-furb...the list went on lol. So it had been a bit neglected, but i knew i could turn it into a peach with my trusty buffer. But damn it felt good to be back in an s1 even after 3 weeks!
    Last edited by philmh; 16-10-2011, 11:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    :

Great to hear the story behind this one - look forward to hearing more about it and seeing it polished up
    Peugeot Sport Logi

Comment

So a week after i'd picked the car up, i set about it with the buffer. Also fitted new bonnet & tailgate decals, and fitted the steel wheels and tyres from my 1st rallye which were in the garden shed. Andy kemp completed a full service, head gasket, timing belt and water pump the week after purchase too.

Picked up a new bonnet in October '09 too

Didn't get any photo's straight after, but took a few on the November '09 trip to Scarborough...

And on a trip up to Buttertubs Pass, Easter sunday last year

Pugfest '10 was fast approaching, and i needed the new bonnet spraying ready for this as the original had a slight dent from the bump by the previous owner. A local painter did this, but the first attempt left some speckles of black dust in the centre of the bonnet, so he re-painted it, and matched the shade of white better on the second attempt too.

Also refitted the original steel wheels so that my better set could have a refurb ready for pugfest, and picked therm up with just a day or two before the show...

After a winter's driving, the paintwork was looking a bit shabby, so i whizzed over the rallye with the buffer again in prep for pugfest, but was getting a bit dark for the pics

Last edited by philmh; 21-02-2011, 11:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      :

Comment

its amazing how much better they look once someone that knows what they are doing has had a go at the paint work!

looks really nice. I too am missing my rallye. Hopefully it wont be too long till i can afford another one
        [CENTER][IMG]http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/rallyejames87/sigggg.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[CENTER]165bhp Throttle boddied J4 - Bwaaaaaaaaarp :D[/CENTER]

Comment

After all the hard graft, i was veryu chuffed with how it looked at Pugfest, had quite a few compliments, which makes it all worthwhile

August '10 came and we had a trip up to the Lake district where i took some of the best shots of the rallye (IMO- of course )...

:

Comment

The Rallye looks right at home in the lakes photos! It was built to be enjoyed in that sort of environment! good work, you have made it look stunning!!
            Jack
            [CENTER][IMG]http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae166/JAMason321/duhwinning-1.jpg?t=1303910563[/IMG][/CENTER]

[CENTER]:s1:[/CENTER]
            [CENTER]I have an unhealthy addiction to this forum! The Rally Register ruined my social life![/CENTER]

Comment

Whilst browsing ebay, i came across these and bought them, as well as then buying the other 2 pairs that the seller had ( for spares )

Then with winter on the way again and knowing how bad my Yokohama summer tyres were in the snow in previous years, i found a bargain priced set of Yokohama winter T's, brand new, 165/65 t14's. So i gave my original rusty steels a good sand down with the drill and various sanding bits, then gave them a good coat 4 coats of Hammerite smooth white. Big thanks to Andy Kemp for fitting them for me

And on the car

It's unbelievable how much difference a set of tyres can make in the snow. Didn't get stuck at all, the car went everywhere i pointed it.

Originally posted by jamesuk87 View Post
              its amazing how much better they look once someone that knows what they are doing has had a go at the paint work!

looks really nice. I too am missing my rallye. Hopefully it wont be too long till i can afford another one
              Thanks James, i've had plenty of practice with buffing cars. My previous job as a valeter meant paintwork correction on quite expensive cars such as Porsches, Mercedes, Bmw's, etc. Bet you're missing yours, i was after a couple of hours lol

Originally posted by JAMason View Post
              The Rallye looks right at home in the lakes photos! It was built to be enjoyed in that sort of environment! good work, you have made it look stunning!!
              Jack
              Cheers Jack, there are some fantastic roads up there with amazing views, but i'm pretty lucky having some great roads near me too heading up into North Yorshire
              Last edited by philmh; 21-02-2011, 11:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              :

Comment

I remember this time last year when I was up at Ben's dropping some parts off.
                I spent more time gazing at your beaut than I did looking at the progress of mine.
                It really is a credit to you, well done.
                Mike
                www.106maxi.co.uk
                - North West Sports & Saloons Class F 2014 Champion
                - Winner of Dave Simpson Memorial Trophy

- Britcar 24hour 2015, 2nd in class, 14th O/A
                - Seat Supercopa

Comment

Thanks Mike. It was back at Benji and Steve's a couple of weeks ago for a new heater matrix and thermostat fitting. Ben said it had 4 more compliments whilst it was there. Thanks to Ben the heater now blows hot again, the temp gauge works as it should, and there is the full amount of heat reaching the windscreen, as before the blower was blowing full, but not enough air was coming out of any of the vents.

Just a few more ebay bargains i've picked up over the past few months ...

a genuine pug washer bottle pump, the 2 spare sets of headlamp protectors...all the above brand new. Also, the last near side set of s1 rallye decals from 106 parts, 2 pug bonnet decals, and bonnet and tailgate decals from Rick Cusimar. Lastly, a genuine pug pair of b-pillar door decals to fit when the weather warms up a bit. The car could do with another run over with the polisher when it warms up a bit too.
                  Last edited by philmh; 16-01-2012, 12:20 AM.
                  :

Comment

looks good man i have very tempted to buy a rallye to make a little monster and keep the saxo as a daily i am very in love with white s1's

Comment

Originally posted by readie View Post
                      looks good man i have very tempted to buy a rallye to make a little monster and keep the saxo as a daily i am very in love with white s1's
                      Thanks Josh. I've been in a s1 rallye now as my daily driver for over 6 1/2 years. It's a bit noisy at the moment with no carpet or soundproofing as they got damp with either the heater matrix, or the passenger door seal ( not sure which caused it lol).

As soon as i get a dry weekend i'll be hiring a rug doctor to shampoo the carpet and the soundproof material, may even do the seats while i have it
                      :

Comment

Looking good Phil, looked mint at the Scarborough meet, bet its even better now! Are them rug doctor things anygood? Should be back out in mine soon, just got some S2 steels on it and got a set of S1 caps off RallyeDom. Yours looks stunning on them lakes pics!

Comment

My compliment from Pugfest still stands "one of the mintest I have seen"

Now hand over the keys

Comment

Originally posted by Adam S1 View Post
                            Looking good Phil, looked mint at the Scarborough meet, bet its even better now! Are them rug doctor things anygood? Should be back out in mine soon, just got some S2 steels on it and got a set of S1 caps off RallyeDom. Yours looks stunning on them lakes pics!
                            Originally posted by curl666 View Post
                            My compliment from Pugfest still stands "one of the mintest I have seen"

Now hand over the keys
                            Thanks for the compliments lads The rug doctor will just be used for sucking the water up Adam. Will be spraying shampoo on the carpet and jet washing it first. Just need a dry weekend to do that though.
                            :

Comment

With the warm weather, thought it about time to get the carpet/interior cleaned and put back in, after a couple of months with no carpet. First job was to get another layer of sounproofing as mine had been damaged by a leak in the car (and then left outside a few months)
                              So a trip to the local scrappers found a red s2 1.1 with a dry interior. Shame the car on top had smahed the sunroof so glass everywhere. Gott he soundproofing and passenger door seal for a bargain price of 5.
                              Also hired a rug doctor which was good value at 20 for 48 hrs.

Set about the red carpet, floor mats and boot mat with a squirty bottle of pre wash Vanish, then the jet wash. Sucked the water out with the rug doctor and ended upwith some nice clean interior

The parcel shelf got a seeing to too lol

Didn't take long to dry with the warm sun out, so soundproofing first to go in

Then the boot mat

Then the carpet

Rear bench and back rest next

And finally the front seats

That's all for now folks. Next job is to get summer wheels/tyres back on, then fix the buffer for another 'detail'
                              Last edited by philmh; 25-04-2011, 07:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              :

Comment

Working...
                              X