This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size throttle boddies for a 16v?

I've heard that 40mm is optimum, Not sure what the reason behind this is, but I have found a set of 45mm from a 206 GTI, will these be ok to use?

will be fine. jason you need to search on the fourm of past threads to do with TB's, as this has been mentioned many of times.

Comment

Yeh i used the search Ross, I know I can use the 45mm Boddies, what i'm asking though is how well are they suited to the engine as I heard 40mm was the optimum size, will it make the engine to peaky?

Comment

I think Sandy309 used 45mm TB's with great success.
        Come play my game.

Comment

I'm seriously thinking of buying these from bic this week, just 3wanted some advice etc from others first

Pair of low low mileage (2k miles) Jenvey 45mm bodies (short version)
          90mm trumpets
          O ring seals included
          ITG base plate welded to back of trumpet bellmouths
          ITG bar filter
          Peugeot GTI 6 Green injectors and fuel rail

Are these going to be ok on a VTS engine? I know i need to get the inlet (Which ive already sorted) But will everything else fit as intended? In particular the GTI-6 injectors and fuel rail? I have been told these injectors are enough to flow 230bhp, will these be a bit overkill as i will be running 165-170bhp? Or will they end up being beneficial if I was to add Nitrous at a later date?

I'm planning on running something along the lines of PT52's/708 Cams, Possibly something wilder (Only as far as making valve cut outs though) With the C2 VTS head

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Comment

Inlet length is far more critical than diameter with TB's, 45's will be fine of the 16v, i've had some great results with them as Dave said. The only problem is you'll have to use the Chadil manifold with those, unless you get one fabricated, which will restrict inlet length, becuase it's designed for mounting carbs near level and points them at the brake bar.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy309 View Post
              Inlet length is far more critical than diameter with TB's, 45's will be fine of the 16v, i've had some great results with them as Dave said. The only problem is you'll have to use the Chadil manifold with those, unless you get one fabricated, which will restrict inlet length, becuase it's designed for mounting carbs near level and points them at the brake bar.
              You'll have to excuse my limited knowledge but what is a Chadil manifold? Why would I need to use that?
              Can you recommend a better set-up over this one?

Comment

This is the Chadil PEU2996 manifold (with short TB's mounted on it:

It is designed for DCOE carbs, which can't be mounted more than 7 degrees from horizontal. It's also got unequal tract shapes to convert the 84mm spacing of the ports to 90mm DCOE spacing. Because the bodies will be near horizontally mounted, the brake bar on the bulkhead severely limits the avaiable space for trumpets, limiting overall inlet length from trumpet mouth to valve to around 290mm, way short of the 330-350mm I'd aim for with this kind of engine.
                the end result looks like this:

The 106 maxi used a direct to head throttle bodies arrangement, which angles the bodies steepr to match the port angle (improving the "shot" at the valves), allowing longer inlet length (generally improves mid range power mostly, which is where you need it most, but often peak as well) and also allows you to draw air from the scuttle area, which is force fed by aerodynamics and cooler, (although the Maxi's had a scoop feed from the front grille). The Maxi bodies are virtually unobtainable, but it doesn't matter because both KMS and Jenvey do their own designs which are just as efficient in design. The KMS bodies are a pair of single piece cast bodies (making assembly and balancing slightly easier), they are here:

The Jenvey set up uses a very nicely designed inlet manifold and their single "SF or ST" bodies, which are available in a range of diameters. If you're a purist, you can use them without cutting the scuttle like this:

Or for a better dynamic cold air feed and the full treat cabin noise, you can cut the scuttle (which isn't structural and doesn't affect the MOT/ roadworthiness, or cause water leakage issues like many scare mongerers with no experience of it suggest), which is here:

Could someone make this thread sticky so i don't have to keep making these elongated reposts please?

Comment

Originally posted by sandy309 View Post

Could someone make this thread sticky so i don't have to keep making these elongated reposts please?
                  Job done.

Thanks for the post Sandy.
                  Come play my game.

Comment

Sandy, have you seen any results from the KMS direct to head bodies yet? How do they compare to the Jenvey SF/ST's.
                    N reg White S1 106 Rallye - Out of sight, out of mind
                    K reg Grey 106 XSi 16v - Going nowhere fast
                    R reg Blue VW Caravelle VR6 - Gas guzzing camper
                    08 reg Dark Grey Honda FR-V - Vtec! Sort of...

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Sandy, have you seen any results from the KMS direct to head bodies yet? How do they compare to the Jenvey SF/ST's.
                      Have you seen this thread on the SSC forum?

http://www.saxosportsclub.com/forum/...4330&forumid=5
                      Come play my game.

Comment

Interesting! Another top result for 45mm bodies on the 1.6, I feel almost mitigated

BMEP of 215psi at 5500rpm, that's about as strong as you can ever expect the mid range to get and it will be very quick on the road/track, I doubt very much he'd see a "real" gain from changing the cams, maybe more peak, but bound to loose some of that fabulous mid range.

Very pleasing, Matt Sav must be chuft to nuts!

Comment

I have now, cheers Dave

Sounds like there could be a bit more to come from that engine with some fine tuning, plenty of torque above 4k though Any idea why it dips so much below that?
                          N reg White S1 106 Rallye - Out of sight, out of mind
                          K reg Grey 106 XSi 16v - Going nowhere fast
                          R reg Blue VW Caravelle VR6 - Gas guzzing camper
                          08 reg Dark Grey Honda FR-V - Vtec! Sort of...

Comment

how much would this set up cost

Comment

This is all a bit confusing, I spoke to GMC and Carworx and they both said that 45mm throttle boddies are too big and will loose lots of the mid range.

However those DTH bodies are 45mm?

Comment

Working...
                              X