This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil advice and recommendations here

I get asked many questions about oil so I thought a thread here for all oil related questions would be a good idea and build into a FAQ or reference point for others.

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make
    Model
    Year
    Engine size/type

Any mods

Type of use (road/track)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards
    Guy
    Use the code 106RR and get 10% Club Discount
    oilman's website for performance engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944

Make 205
    Model n/a
    Year 1989
    Engine size/type s1 rallye engine just been rebuilt and running in so will be looking to change the oil soon

Any mods ill have a 4-2-1 manin soon(tm)

Type of use (road/track) fast road?

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) engine runns around 80/85 normal running temps , then up to 90ish i assume

Im changing the gear box for a 66k item and iv got to change the oil in the engine as i mentioned once shes bedded in.

Comment

Ok,

For the engine, once run in is complete I would look at a 5w-40 full synthetic for all year round use, go for an ester based on such as the Silkolene Pro S or Motul 300v and they are shear stable upto and beyond 120degc.

For teh gearbox, a 75w-90 GL4 is ideal, again as the car will be worked hard on country roads then a synthetic is the way to go, have a look at Motul, Silkolene and Amsoil.

Cheers

Guy.
      http://www.opieoils.co.uk
      oilman's website for performance engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

Make: Peugeot
        Model: 106 Rallye, S2
        Year: 97
        Engine size/type: 1.6l 8v.
        Mods: Catback exhaust, BMC CDA-Box, re-mapped ECU.
        Type of use (road/track): Fast road usage and daily usage.

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used):

Never been up in the red area in oil-temp area yet. So I guess sub 120 C oiltemperatures.
        Bare in mind that I live in Sweden, the oil must perform good when cold. I have also started to notice that gearbox can feel somewhat crunchy sometimes, a gearbox oil that helps the syncros bite better could possibly help?

Currently using: Mobil1 0w40 Synt.
        Gearbox: Quaker State Quadrolube 75w (recommended by local Peugeot garage for easy gearchanges...).

Some of the brands on your site isn't available in Sweden, well anyway not where I normally buy stuff for my car. Mobil1, Castrol and Pennzoil are the most common brands around here...

Cheers!

Comment

Cant recommend Opie Oils enough.

Got me 10Ltrs of Silkoline 5w 40 Pro S within 48hours and got members discount too

Comment

Make 106
            Model GTI
            Year 1998
            Engine size/type 1.6 16v

Any mods PugSport Exhaust (de-cat), Simota Induction Kit, Stainless Steel Manifold

Type of use (road/track) Road

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) Currently using Mobil 1 0W-40 fully synthetic

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? Both

Cheers

Comment

For the engine either 10w-40 semi-synthetic (budget option) or 5w-40 synthetic (quality option) and 75w-90 for the gearbox.

Cheers
              Guy

Comment

just bought mobil 0-40w, fully synthetic (cos it was on offer) and castrol smx-s fully synthetic gear oil 75w-85, did i make a good choice?

Make peugeot
                Model 106 rallye (s2)
                Year 1998
                Engine size/type 1.6 8v

Any mods pug sport, 4-2-1 mani, cam, nitrous(on it's way)

Type of use (road/track) fast road

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) silkolene 5w-40 and castol 75w-80 semi syth

Comment

It depends what you mean. Mobil1 is not better than Silkolene Pro S if your car is modded or used on track as Silkolene Pro S is an out and out race oil, Mobil1 is not.

Cheers
                  Simon

Comment

Make: Peugeot
                    Model: 106 Rallye
                    Year: 1998
                    Engine size/type: 1.6 16v

Any mods

throttle bodies, cams, headwork etc

Type of use (road/track): track mostly, but still required for weekly jolly's. will be used in winter minimally, but garaged.

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

current oil is, some pretty basic normal sutff. mobil 1 semi-synth, just being used as finsihing of running in the engine. prolly about 1500-2000 miles on it max.

engine oil and gearbox. gearbox about to get rebuild, with quaife dif. possibly might be looking at a dog engagement gear set.

Comment

Rich, I bet Simon/Guy will suggest Silkolene Pro S 10W-50 engine and Syn 5 box oil.

(Do you have an oil cooler?)
                      [B][SIZE="1"]Caterham 7: 203.3bhp/160lbft/503.8kgs. [COLOR="Red"]TARGET[/COLOR]: 250bhp/180lbft/<500kgs
                      Octavia [COLOR="Lime"]v[/COLOR][COLOR="DimGray"]RS[/COLOR]: 207bhp/251lbft/heavy. [COLOR="Red"]TARGET[/COLOR]: 250bhp/300lbft/still heavy
                      [URL="http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk"]Javelin Trackdays[/URL][IMG]http://images40.fotki.com/v1303/photos/4/42688/3770145/hyper-vi.gif[/IMG][/SIZE][/B]

Comment

yeah expect so, i was thinking pro s, but im not really clued up on the viscosity ratings. what value's what again? also you think a dog box would be manly enough? with a long first and close 2/3/4/5 shaft speeds should be better? also the syncro system is differnt, stronger? could do with ringing tms tomorrow and get the low down!!?
                        cheers.

Comment

Er. Lower rating is winter rating, sort of thickness from cold and upper rating is ability to cope under high temps. Or something. Search for oilman's previous posts.

Dunno about dog boxes really. If you don't use a dog box properly and match speeds with gears then you might as well flush money down the bog. I still reckon a nicely rebuilt box with ATB will do you OK.
                          [B][SIZE="1"]Caterham 7: 203.3bhp/160lbft/503.8kgs. [COLOR="Red"]TARGET[/COLOR]: 250bhp/180lbft/<500kgs
                          Octavia [COLOR="Lime"]v[/COLOR][COLOR="DimGray"]RS[/COLOR]: 207bhp/251lbft/heavy. [COLOR="Red"]TARGET[/COLOR]: 250bhp/300lbft/still heavy
                          [URL="http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk"]Javelin Trackdays[/URL][IMG]http://images40.fotki.com/v1303/photos/4/42688/3770145/hyper-vi.gif[/IMG][/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Also noticed halfords are trying to entering into the world of track days etc. They now sell a track day oil, 15w-50, fully syth. But as oilman has said before, halfords stuff isn't ester based and therefore can't perform to extremes.

Comment

Mankee is spot on.

5w-40 Pro S for the gearbox, ideal for track and road work.

Silkolene Syn5 75w-90 for the gearbox, this oil is also aporved by quaife.

Cheers

Simon.

Comment

Working...
                              X