home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox

Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox ECU chips, decats, cam kits,

Old 05-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
S1ze matters
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Gearbox swap to quaife LSD

Hi

My 106 is a S1 1.3 rallye with a standard engine and gearbox.
I am about to swap my gearbox for one with an LSD in it (also standard gears, professionally assembled). Swapping gearbox is a first for me.
I have a workshop-manual, but they leave out all the interesting details and are not specific to a model. Can someone point me out to the important, maybe rallye-specific steps?
Is it even possible to do without a lift?

And while i have the new gearbox on the table: is there a possibility to mount a longer 5th gear in a „plug and play“ fashion?

What oils are recommended for a quaife torsen style LSD?

Thanks in advance!
S1ze matters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #2
MHR1294
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ze matters View Post
Hi

My 106 is a S1 1.3 rallye with a standard engine and gearbox.
I am about to swap my gearbox for one with an LSD in it (also standard gears, professionally assembled). Swapping gearbox is a first for me.
I have a workshop-manual, but they leave out all the interesting details and are not specific to a model. Can someone point me out to the important, maybe rallye-specific steps?
Is it even possible to do without a lift?

And while i have the new gearbox on the table: is there a possibility to mount a longer 5th gear in a „plug and play“ fashion?

What oils are recommended for a quaife torsen style LSD?

Thanks in advance!
Yes it can be done with a jack and axle stands, I prefer to lower the whole engine onto the ground to make it easier to get the box on and off. There are no specific steps for removing the gearbox, they fit in exactly the same way across all models.

Yes, there are generally 2 main gear sets for this gearbox. Sports and non sports. 5th gear ratios are 0.85 (sports) or 0.767 (non sports)

The S1 Rallye has 5th gear ratio of 0.85. If you get the 5th gear from a non sports box (1.1, 1.4 etc) you can change the 5th gear to 0.767 to lower the revs a bit. You can actually do it with the gearbox still in place but since you're removing it, it should be easy. Pay attention to thicknesses of any washers that you remove, there might be a slight difference in sizes.

Use the normal gearbox oil (75W-80) with your Quaife LSD.
MHR1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
S1ze matters

User Gallery
Thaks for your answer.

Makes sense that the swap is the same, since the Gearboxes are interchangeable.

How are the driveshaft fixed in the Gearbox? In one manual there is a step described as "loosening the driveshaft-nuts" by braking the wheel and then loosen the nuts on the wheel. Can you simply pull the driveshafts out of the box after that?
Old 09-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
MHR1294
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ze matters View Post
Thaks for your answer.

Makes sense that the swap is the same, since the Gearboxes are interchangeable.

How are the driveshaft fixed in the Gearbox? In one manual there is a step described as "loosening the driveshaft-nuts" by braking the wheel and then loosen the nuts on the wheel. Can you simply pull the driveshafts out of the box after that?
Yes the driveshafts just pull out of the gearbox

The long shaft has an intermediate bearing, you need to loosen the 11mm nuts and take the bolts out. The bearing might need a tap with a hammer to get it out of the carrier.

But it's just pull.
MHR1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
S1ze matters

User Gallery
@mhr1294 thanks! really appreciate you taking your time to help me out!

migh need some more advice :S
i just noticed my left drive shaft has some play in the gearbox (LHD car). is a worn out spline common or does it look like the differential is loose?

here is a video of it:
https://youtu.be/gaOoZXgdjq4