home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > London & South East

London & South East London, Surrey, Sussex, Kent

Old 13-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
Spanker
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
S2 Restoration

Time to start my blog on restoring my old S2 Rallye.

The blog is somewhat late, as most of the mechanical restoration was completed last week, but it will be a recap and then a live blog on the remaining work, mostly bodywork, and last few engine tweaks..

Rallye details:

R81 FBW, Indigo blue S2 Rallye, purchased September 2001 with 42k miles at that point.

Supplied by Bristol Street Motors in Banbury, was totally stock and rather lovely.

Came with the optional PAS and Airbag. I live in London and parallel park every day, hence the want for PAS..

I fitted a open K&N induction kit, which sounded great, but that was about it.

After 7 or so years of very enjoyable driving, including a few trips to the alps for some mountain pass driving, she was put to bed in late 2008, and laid up in my garage under cottons sheets and a protective cover. Mileage was 89k at that point...

I could not bear to part with her, and hoped that some day in the future, I would have the money to restore her as 7 years of driving in London had left the bodywork in a bad way, with dents and scratches everywhere, and at least 5 knocks with other cars to the offside front wing. That wing seemed to attract other cars! Mechanically she was still sound..

The next 6 years were spent driving a MX5 SVT Sport, then a Boxster S Sport, then a move to family cars; a Civic FN2 EX and finally an E60 530i, my current family car and what a car she is!

A change of jobs via a redundancy package delivered the required funds and confidence to break her out of the garage and get her back on the road.

Fast forward to March of 2015 and off come the covers after 6 years and there she is!! I must of have had her cleaned before she went under, and the paint was looking good, however the interior was dusty to say the least, due to me leaving the rear quarter windows open to avoid any mould, which did work, but let in loads of dust.

A new battery is purchased and fitted to her, I turn the key and..... she starts first time! I leave the engine running until the oil gets up to temperature and then shut her down.

She is booked into my mechanics garage in Croydon, and ex Peugeot main dealer mechanic, now called somewhat blandly, Croydon MOT Centre. Highly recommend Graham, Derek and their team there, have been using them for 15 years now. Graham used to shoe horn M16 engines into 205 GTi's as his runaround!

First drive out of the garage (after 6 years), the brakes are barely working, and the PAS feels like it has stopped working, but I make it there...

Graham fits a Maniflow manifold and exhaust plus a new cat, as the old system has rusted away... New rear discs and pads as they are also rusted away, but everything else works, and the K&N unit is replaced with a Pipercross Viper unit. Service and MOT are of course performed...

She now has an increase in power and torque, but the front of the car sounds like it is about to fall off every time I hit a speed hump and the brakes are terrible after driving the E60 which has mountain stopping brake power...

I sent her back to the the garage a week later, with a brief of sorting it out: replace the dampers with Bilstein B6's all round, new front bushes, new top mounts and bearings, and EBC discs and pads all round... Additionally a Nissens alu rad, water temp was overheating as the manifold shroud was removed to fit the Maniflow.

4 weeks later, after very painful experiences trying to get the bushes and dampers, all the problems are now sorted and she drives far better than I can ever remember: more power, better handling, no bad noises, can't comment on the brakes, as they need to bed in, but still overheating in traffic.

That brings me up to today, sadly I did not get any photos of all of the kit that got installed, as it was sent to my garage directly.

I will be posting some photos soon documenting the bodyshop work: new front offside wing, bonnet, removal of various other dents and scratches, respray of the front half, and new decals... Plus an additional fan rad to try and keep the water temps down in traffic...

Later this year, I may get an ECU remapped at Track n Road, my local mapper...
Spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
chatie1975

User Gallery
Sounds like an interesting project, look forward to the pictures and progress!
chatie1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
pogolegs

User Gallery
Good job keeping hold it for that long! Look forward to seeing pics, where are you based and what bodyshop will you be using to do the work?
pogolegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
Spanker

User Gallery
I am based in Dulwich, south London, I have 2 quotes so far, one from a very local bodyshop in Forest Hill and one from Surrey Accident Repair Centre in Croydon (my mechanic recommended).

Any recommendations locally would be appreciated it, it will be quite a large job as the bonnet and most panels needs work.

One of the bodyshops said it is not worth picking up a 2nd hand bonnet as they are always dented and scratched, and the work to sort it out will cost more than a new bonnet and respray. I understand buying new for a wing, but a new bonnet is like 250 ex paint!

Anyone have experience of buying 2nd hand panels and the actual condition they arrive in?
Old 15-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
Spanker

User Gallery
First few photos..

That pesky front wing!! The difference between 2003 and 2015:

Picture 004_zpswjisbs8c by spencer barratt, on Flickr

IMG_1962_zpsa7inluwm by spencer barratt, on Flickr

IMG_1963_zpshskrho7d by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Newly steam cleaned engine bay, i ended up replacing the rocker cover as it was corroded:

IMG_1970_zpsrvui2elx by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Last one for now, some German engineering underside:

IMG_1971_zpsrslpqscm by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Will be cleaning interior tomorrow, the seats are horrible, so quick shampoo with some before and after shots!

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 16-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
Spanker

User Gallery
Shampoo'd the seats and mats today, looks better after washing out 7 years of god knows what!!

Will probably need one more shampoo and rinse to get them back to former glory...

Also received the 2nd rad fan today, fitting that will probably be next, and maybe another tune now the manifold and exhaust have been for on for a few hundred miles...

Idle is vibrating the steering wheel....

Brakes are improving every time I drive her, EBC claim you need to drive for 350 miles if you add pads and discs at the same time!! Is very hard to keep my speed down!

Before and after:

IMG_1966_zpsbrdqyemd by spencer barratt, on Flickr

IMG_1973_zps9rxkawnf by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 17-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Timberland

User Gallery
Sweeeeeet
Love a good restoration thread.
Old 18-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
pogolegs

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
I am based in Dulwich, south London, I have 2 quotes so far, one from a very local bodyshop in Forest Hill and one from Surrey Accident Repair Centre in Croydon (my mechanic recommended).

Any recommendations locally would be appreciated it, it will be quite a large job as the bonnet and most panels needs work.

One of the bodyshops said it is not worth picking up a 2nd hand bonnet as they are always dented and scratched, and the work to sort it out will cost more than a new bonnet and respray. I understand buying new for a wing, but a new bonnet is like 250 ex paint!

Anyone have experience of buying 2nd hand panels and the actual condition they arrive in?
I'll be following how you get on as I'll respray mine eventually and based not too far from you so will be interested to see how it comes out with whoever you choose.

I've ordered a 2nd hand bonnet before and it arrived with both corner edges completely bent, quite a hard item to wrap safely so I'd recommend finding one local and picking it up!
pogolegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
MattXT92
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery Car Blog
Here you go... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-PE...item4ae60c8f88

They had a Mk1 bonnet too which I went and picked up from them... Top bloke, a bit far, but i made a day of it. Fitted quite easily in the back of my civic, just take loads of bubble wrap and card etc
Old 18-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
MattXT92

User Gallery Car Blog
No worries

I did once get a mk1 bonnet in the back of my 106 but a mk 1 is shorter and i cant remember if it could lay flat or not, it was years ago

Could always just drive the 106 up and fit the bonnet in their car park...
Old 18-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #11
MattXT92

User Gallery Car Blog
Be careful... I have had a grand total of 3 bonnets for my car because the one it came with and the one I replaced it with first were both aftermarket and I was never happy with the fitment. The one you have linked is aftermarket, the one I sent you is genuine Peugeot! Up to you, I opted for genuine, but if you are OK with aftermarket you can get them very cheaply!
Old 18-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #12
Spanker

User Gallery
I only want genuine, had that nightmare already a long time ago!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
Spanker

User Gallery
Minor update, received the invoice for all of the above work at last, and wow was it a long one!

Should be getting the second rad fan fitted this Friday, will post some photos and hopefully comment on the resulting impact, also need the idle attended to as the steering wheel is vibrating at idle..

106 Receipt_zpsjnpd2ojw by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 14-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #14
Spanker

User Gallery
Good news! Having the secondary fan fitted has cured the overheating problem in traffic, having two fans has allowed the car to cope with the new manifold, works perfectly, very pleased. Looks great as well, having the empty fan housing never looked right to me....

IMG_2015_zps9wi1vsll by spencer barratt, on Flickr

IMG_2017_zpsqccvpgb4 by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Next update will be the results of an interior valet, shampoo and rinse of those damn seats again!

The stereo continues to grow in power as well, new Alpine head unit and rear shelf speakers went in recently, amp and front component speakers have arrived, just need to be fitted..

Will also be taking her to Brands for an evening track session soon, want to get that in before I spend a fortune on the bodywork only to slide a tyre wall!

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 15-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #15
homologeo

User Gallery
Sounds like you are making good progress Spanker.

I am still up for a little blast when things settle down at home (newborn)!

I still need to get a thread up for my S1, but general theme has been cleaning/paintless dent removal. I have a new set of decals I need to get round to fitting.
homologeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #16
Spanker

User Gallery
Congrats on the the new arrival!!

I am still going out on Sunday evenings round your way, let me know when you are free. Look for forward to reading your blog...
Old 08-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #17
Spanker

User Gallery
Some goodies arrived yesterday, Baker BM silicone coolant hoses and short shifter, they will be fitted next Friday ahead of track evening at Brands Hatch at the end of month.

Will be going out for a long shakedown ahead of Brands to make sure everything is working as expected, can't wait to try out the short shift!

D78BC532-DD31-4DEB-8C04-33171AFDD182_zps9mmzlebi by spencer barratt, on Flickr

201A4FCF-6030-40F4-9232-381FB69A7F71_zpsze4gwyvu by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 22-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #18
Spanker

User Gallery
Had the silicone hoses and short shifter fitted yesterday, went out for a shakedown straight from the garage last night, had a total blast. Also discovered my mechanic has just bought a track prepared 306 with a 206 GTI 16v lump in it, we will be attending some track days together soon, will post some footage of the days.

Absolutely love the new shifter, beautiful to use, made a massive difference to the throw.

DC9D1BFF-5D9F-4254-8D87-D3B1B577EBE7_zps9q1pbkqp by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 24-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #19
Spanker

User Gallery
Shampoo'd the seats yet again, looking better, will need one more shampoo to get them back to their former glory though...

Off to Brands Hatch this Thursday evening, will be very interesting as heavy rain is predicated!! Bought a headrest mount for my camera, will post footage of me no doubt sliding out.. Quality piece of machining, and very easy to use, customer service was excellent, they based just down the road from Brands Hatch as well: http://www.headrestmount.co.uk/

Has anyone driven at Lydden Hill track in Kent? First i have heard of it, they do track days every now and then, and it is not far for me, so will be taking a trip down there at some point: http://www.lyddenhill.co.uk/events/car-track-day-16

6838FD1C-05EC-41F1-BE19-6BBB9176A79C_zpszj7idxjl by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 28-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #20
Spanker

User Gallery
https://youtu.be/PuQHquNv5-E

Final few laps round Brands at the end of the session on a wonderful stormy evening.

First drive I have driven it, so not the fastest laps, but highly enjoyable and the Rallye performed very well and kept going strong lap after lap.

Last edited by Spanker; 03-10-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #21
Spanker

User Gallery
Been a while since my last update, some more goodies have arrived, a full set of Nankang NSR2's. Only 40 miles on them so far, so no worthwhile feedback yet, however.....

Off to a track day Lydden Hill at the end of October, so will post an update then.

Went for the soft track compound...
26A2121C-E42C-43BE-B997-6E864AE25D5E_zpsjxpa5ao7 by spencer barratt, on Flickr

From the rear..
E8A73889-0A84-4BD5-AB2C-3B157CCEA611_zpswu5axjpi by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #22
Spanker

User Gallery
Well Lydden Hill was a blast in the Rallye, I was keeping up with a lot of similar sized cars, especially a brave guy in a brand new Fiesta ST, and stripped out MG.

The Nankang's were a major part of that, once I got them up to the correct operating temperature, 29 psi hot (as advised by Nankang), they stuck like... well a track tyre

A large number of people came over to see the Rallye, great guy and lady at the end of the day with their own S1 Rallye and Williams Clio at home, hello you two, I know you read the forum!

Some footage below early on in the sessions, not the fastest as I was still learning the track, pity i missed recording the last session when about 8 of us stuck together in a pack all the way through the session, a true race indeed!

Footage: https://youtu.be/VeVJsL86yMA

After shot of the rear offside tyre which oddly was worn quite a lot, bearing in mind this is a right hand track... but then they all were!

290A2258-6CD8-441C-9AAF-A50F98DBFB20_zpsc9kgxsak by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 26-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #23
Spanker

User Gallery
It has been a while since my last posting, sadly I missed a track day at Brands in December as I was sick as dog when I woke up that day.

I made up for it by buying some more goodies:

OMP lower strut brace to complement the upper brace:
32C89173-D09A-4F12-9751-AF9241A093C0_zpsgta64lpk by spencer barratt, on Flickr

15331967-A21E-485E-ACA0-F8A5D9FD7374_zpswavqdsgm by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Mocal oil cooler, in a final attempt to keep the oil temperature down on the track, which worked!

F85AE8DC-19E1-4015-B482-7EC14F01E79A_zpswklcedrp by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Oil cooler in place; had to go behind the rad as I have twin fans, so no room up front:

B03FA093-25E5-45DD-8540-7417F022B5A2_zps3aryqbgn by spencer barratt, on Flickr

F7039B7B-A7CF-4026-8B26-38B4077EBCE7_zpsmzic9xvh by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Went to brands on Valentine's Day, the missus thought that was very romantic!

The first 2 sessions were chaos, as the conditions were very, very greasy, people spinning off at Paddock Hill bend on the sighting laps no less!

First session was even worst, nearly all of us spun off at least once, including me with an instructor sitting next to me, oopps...and the session was finally red flagged after a Fiat Panda (100 HP no less!) rolled as he came round Paddock Hill Bend!! Driver appeared to be unhurt as we drove past, as we could see him kicking the door open as he sat upside down with the car sitting on it's roof, sadly the car was not unhurt...

Our group was called in for a talking by the instructors after that, thankfully the track started to dry out and order was returned...

https://youtu.be/uss9FHskUz8

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 21-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #24
homologeo

User Gallery
Hi Spanker,

It's great to see that you are doing the most important thing with your Rallye... Getting out and enjoying it!

I've not made much progress on my S1, but have decided to invest in a few goodies with a view to taking it on a few local track days myself.

How much was Brands Hatch if you don't mind me asking? How suitable do you think it might be for a track day virgin?

Thomas
Old 21-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #25
Spanker

User Gallery
Brands is good starter track, only a mile long so you can quickly learn the lines, They also do instructing for 25, which is worth every penny.

I am going Burton Power track evening on Wednesday 6th April if you fancy it?

Keep an eye on the post, I have got a whole load more goodies, so much so I am having to pace myself on what to fit each month.

Picking the car back up tomorrow, will post the photos of the new kit then.... Then still more to come next month!

Spencer
Old 23-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #26
Spanker

User Gallery
The Rallye is really only used as a track car nowadays, therefore driving to the track then the track time.

That may change as the evenings brighten up, but it has made me reconsider some recent upgrades..

Therefore a new exhaust system turned up last week, including a motorsport CAT:

E646C0A8-B221-4AB6-B30B-E17F26CA5623_zpscjbu9lnj by spencer barratt, on Flickr

0A4AE57F-F1A1-430A-A381-EAE7533DFCD8_zpsw5rswrj8 by spencer barratt, on Flickr

1F539930-E617-467E-9596-5A744305952F_zpsn6x7r6cy by spencer barratt, on Flickr

49BB15FB-6CC4-4BC9-8B66-974803AF5EE1_zps9wudm3du by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Also known as a Pugsport of course!

And a full set of Ferodo DS2500's, front and rear:

D139A1A5-CAEE-412F-B5BB-BF584771E1B3_zpsmxgq3vz2 by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Pugsport fitted:

8FCF66DE-1B1D-4309-87A7-715328253867_zps1jk7mmi7 by spencer barratt, on Flickr

The DS2500's feel so much better than the EBC Green Stuff's i had on before, and they are not even bedded in yet, the session at Brands in a few weeks time is scheduled for just that job..

The Pugsport sounds glorious, however I have not been able to fully try it out, again Brands will be perfect to hear it roar properly!

Next month's job's will be concentrated around the gearbox, more to come on that towards the end of April....

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 23-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #27
homologeo

User Gallery
Hi Spencer,

Looks like your Rallye is coming along nicely.

April is going to be a bit soon for me, but definitely up for doing something in Spring or Summer?

So, you've uprated your handling, breathing and stopping power... I predict that you're about six months away from a lumpy cam and a remap?

Do you mind if I ask where you got your exhaust from? I am planning to order the same one, and had settled on Kam Racing.

Thomas
Old 23-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #28
Spanker

User Gallery
106 Parts were strangely the cheapest for once, although it was the last one....!

We are probably going to Snetteron in June, but always up for a session at Brands as it is so local, check the MSVT calendar for novice days or evenings and let me know, I am happy to come along for the session...

Remap is next year, very expensive work that if you include the ECU, loom and labour...
Old 23-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #29
homologeo

User Gallery
Ok, great. I will check and suggest something.

What's next for the gearbox?
Old 25-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #30
Spanker

User Gallery
Lots of things!

Also check out the road car only days, lots of beginners there as well.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #31
Spanker

User Gallery
Went to Brands a few nights ago, used Harry's lap timer iPhone app for the first time, also had a external Dual GPS 160 unit mounted/hidden on the windscreen just behind the rear view mirror. Quite impressed with the app, think it needs configuring a little...

Footage is taken on an iPhone 6 mounted on the headrest. Sadly not the fastest lap I did as the GPS unit decided to go to sleep when the instructor stepped into the car, but the subsequent laps were by far the fastest...!

https://youtu.be/aIRALvAMbxg

These also turned up..!

Shiny Supersprint manifold:

E3063B6F-E397-4167-A907-085C28D8FE38_zps3frfptmf by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Baker BM group N engine and gearbox mounts:

4627D781-BD65-432C-BE5E-63B9144FA898_zpsajjkvqaz by spencer barratt, on Flickr

May push the gearbox work over into May, however it all needs to be done before 23rd May as we are off to Snetterton, which will be my first time there...

Spencer

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #32
matty_d

User Gallery
Brilliant footage with the data overlay. Is that just using the app? Do the GPS and iPhone talk to each other?

Got some nice parts there too, good stuff.
matty_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #33
Spanker

User Gallery
Yes the app with a separate GPS unit mounted behind the rear view mirror on the windscreen.

You can just use the app, but the iPhone need to be mounted on the windscreen so it gets a GPS lock, I went for a separate unit as it has better accuracy.

It streams via Bluetooth to the iPhone, GPS unit was about 115..

Last edited by Spanker; 09-04-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 28-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #34
dazedandconfused
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Hello spanker, enjoyed reading your thread. I'm off to Snetterton but on the 25th May in my indigo...

How are the nankang's? I used to have Yoko AD08's on my mx-5 but they don't come in 14's. Need to get some new boots before the 25th..
dazedandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 01:34 AM   #35
Spanker

User Gallery
I have found them very good, wear rate on the track compound was pretty good as well, they do need a good scrubbing before attempting any hard cornering though, but a few laps round Snett will address that!

Just be careful once you fit them until they are scrubbed.

See you then, look forward to a race!

Spencer
Old 01-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #36
dazedandconfused

User Gallery
Ha! I will try and keep up but this is very much a shakedown trackday for me being a first time out in the 106. Are you sure we are going on the same day, the 25th?

Reading your blog, I see you fitted an aftermarket air filter, you don't happen to have the standard airbox which you would be willing to sell?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #37
Spanker

User Gallery
Ah yes, 25th vs 23rd, what day is the 25th, I do not see it on MSVT?

I do have most of the original parts, but afraid I am retaining them another day...

Enjoy Snett!
Old 05-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #38
dazedandconfused

User Gallery
...its a trackdays evening on the 25th, i hope i've got the right day!
Old 07-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #39
homologeo

User Gallery
How is the new manifold Spencer?

I finally got round to ordering some stuff last week:

- Peugeot OEM front brake discs 247mm vented
- Mintex M1144 front brake pads
- Replacement front suspension top mount kit inc. bearing & nuts
- Bilstein group N tarmac front/rear dampers
- 165lb Faulkner springs
- BMC air filter element
- Peugeot Sport group N exhaust system

Looking forward to it all arriving!
Old 07-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #40
Spanker

User Gallery
Yes it is good so far, Snett will show how good...

That is a great shopping list, are you fitting everything all in one go?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #41
homologeo

User Gallery
I need to get some replacement bushes and then I'm going to prioritise the suspension and brakes. If I can get away without additional spend on wishbones and rear beam etc. then I'll probably invest in the same manifold you have and then get that done at the same time as the exhaust.

Yeah, not long until your session now; I have enjoyed your videos of Brand Hatch, so looking forward to the same from Snetterton!
Old 18-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #42
Spanker

User Gallery
When I had the group N engine mounts fitted we noticed the engine buffer rubbers were totally gone and cracked.

The engine buffer is there specifically to reduce engine vibration, so i ordered a new one in the hope of reducing vibrations.

Had it fitted today, has totally taken off the edge of the harshness I had before, highly recommend to get this fitted if you have upgraded mounts and the current buffer is knackered.

You can get them from Peugeot for 17, but it is this one shown here:
http://www.106parts.com/pug-184459-1...e-peugeot.html

New buffer fitted below:

C863D60C-A3C4-4B81-8B17-1512C74E15A8_zpsileqyber by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Also had slavesta's front uniball negative camber kit fitted.

Off to Snetterton next Monday, will post a video then..and feedback on the kit.

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 18-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #43
homologeo

User Gallery
Yeah, looking forward to hearing how you get on!

I was going to ask; have you rotated your top mounts?

I've read a bit about it, but as I am having my suspension replaced at the moment I wondered if this was something worth doing.

Thomas
Old 18-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #44
Spanker

User Gallery
Rotated them? Whats that?
Old 18-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #45
Neb

User Gallery
Gives additional caster.
Sharpens the turn in but can make the car a little skittish at higher speeds. It's the position used for the power steering cars although having just read your blog it looks like it is a power steering Rallye anyway.
You rotate the top mount from the rearward position in the top mount hole to the front (or vice versa - i can't remember which). It can be done in-situ with a jack and a bar so you could try it at a track.
Personal preference mainly. Mine is on standard shocks and springs so have left as is.

Car looks great - well chosen upgrades as well. Your making me want to get mine out to play too.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #46
Spanker

User Gallery
Interesting, thanks for that everyone, yes i already have PAS.

Forgot to post a photo of the engine bay once the Supersprint was fitted:
B6318C61-CA69-48E3-8254-EC20EFB40712_zpsoetav1lx by spencer barratt, on Flickr

Last edited by Spanker; 06-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 23-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #47
homologeo

User Gallery
Did you enjoy yourself?
Old 24-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #48
Spanker

User Gallery
Yep: https://youtu.be/WbkuHj8x2EE

As enjoyable as Snett was with the super fast corners, I did miss Brands for all of its hills!

I imagine that Cadwell Park is going to be blast when we make it there...
Old 24-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #49
homologeo

User Gallery
I guess you are always doing something at Brands, rather than sitting on a straight etc. They book look like good fun though!

I am still yet to book any track time, but contemplating the novice only AM session at Brands Hatch on 18th June. In terms of instruction, do you need to book that in advance too?

What have you got planned next then Spencer? I know you mentioned the gearbox at some point.
Old 24-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #50
Spanker

User Gallery
Yes, best to book in advance as they may be fully booked, instruction is a must, gives you way more confidence and makes you massively faster! Much more enjoyable experience, 25 for 20 minutes.. bargain!

I have put off the gearbox work as I need a few weeks to get the following fitted:

Helix paddle clutch, and lightened flywheel are sitting on my desk, plus a Quaife ATB..

The current diff, once removed, needs to go to Quaife and have the crown-wheel swapped over, which is a 7 day turnaround, then add a few days for gearbox out and back in again, clutch and flywheel replacement..

I only have a few weeks between track days at the moment, and it is difficult to schedule the work in, so maybe it will get fitted in July.... who knows!

Last edited by Spanker; 24-05-2016 at 08:52 PM.